Prenatal care Information
Congratulations! We are so thankful that you've chosen Western OB/GYN to support you during your pregnancy. This process can be a little confusing at times, so we have put together a summary of when to schedule your appointments and what to expect.
First Trimester (1-12 Weeks)
We calculate the number of weeks you are pregnant from your first day of your last menstrual cycle or "LMP". During these first 12 weeks we will see you for the following:
- Confirmation of pregnancy by urine and or a blood test
- Iron and folic acid supplementation
- Ultrasound after 7 weeks to determine fetal viability
- Physical exam that will include prenatal blood work along with vaginal and urine cultures to test for infection
- Nuchal Translucency ultrasound, this exam is to evaluate for trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) and triremes 13 &18 via maternal blood and an ultrasound measurement of the nuchal translucency of the fetus. This exam is to be scheduled on a Monday when you are 11 weeks to 13 weeks pregnant. Please be ready with a full bladder!!
Second Trimester (13-24 weeks)
We will need to see you every 4 weeks during this trimester. During each visit you will get to hear the baby's heart beat, as well as the following:
- At 16-18 weeks, a maternal good sample will be taken called AFP. This test is performed to evaluate the fetal risk of open spinal defects and abdominal wall defects.
- At 20-23 weeks, you will, receive an ultrasound to evaluate fetal anatomy as well as find out the gender of the fetus if you choose. This is to be scheduled on a Monday.
- At 24-32 weeks of pregnancy is the one hour glucose test. You will drink a bottle of 'glucola' that we provide one hour before your appointment and then we will draw your blood. This test is to evaluate for gestational diabetes.
Third Trimester (25-40 weeks)
Almost there! We will now need to see you every two weeks starting at 28 weeks.
- At 28-30 weeks, an ultrasound is given to evaluate growth of the baby. If you would like to receive a 3D ultrasound at this time, it must be scheduled on a Monday.
- At 30-35 weeks, OB visits every 2 weeks.
- At 36-37, a vaginal culture will be done to rest for GBS and we will check for cervical dilation. A possible ultrasound will be given at this time to evaluate the baby's weight and position.
- At 38-40 weeks, weekly visits to check cervical dilation and fetal heart rate.
[Click here to register for Childbirth, Breastfeeding classes by 32 weeks]
Visit Birth Your Way Doula for more information on Prenatal classes, Doula and Lactation counselor support.